Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Day The Crayons Came Home


Last year, my third graders LOVED The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywelt and Oliver Jeffers.  It was always one of their favorites to read aloud and borrow to read on their own.  I was delighted to hear there would be a sequel- The Day the Crayons Came Home.  Yesterday it arrived in the mail and I decided to read it for the first time with son, Alex, at bedtime.  

The concept is so smart- all of the lost and broken crayons are sending postcards to Duncan about their adventures, looking to come back home.  Each crayon's story is really funny, with phrases built-in to make adults laugh ("Esteban- the crayon formerly known as Pea Green" calls to mind "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince").  My personal favorite was the postcard written by the Big Chunky Toddler Crayon, sent from Duncan's baby brother's room.  I actually couldn't stop laughing to read this page out loud! 

This book will be perfect to show students the joy and fun that reading brings.  I am thinking some of my students are going to be coming to third grade feeling not so good about themselves as readers and reading in general.  The more I can present books that make us laugh together, the more I can convince them that they really might want to give this reading thing a try again. 

Add The Day The Crayons Came Home to your library! 

No comments:

Post a Comment