Sunday, July 5, 2015

A Snicker of Magic #bookaday July 5th

Natalie Lloyd's A Snicker of Magic was a completely delicious read from start to finish.  There were so many beautiful, meaningful, poignant lines and the story had several layers and connected characters, all tied to a town's supposed curse.  One of my favorite parts of this book was the character, Jonah, who happened to be in a wheelchair.  His disability was just one part of who he was and one that was not the focus of his character.  You might even forget he was in a wheelchair except for the occasional reference of him driving his chair.  It seems that in some books, if a character has a disability, that is the entire focus and you don't get to know all the other facets of this character.  I deeply appreciated the way Jonah was written and he was a compelling and memorable character. 

I think I will reread this book later in the summer with the lens of how I would read it aloud to students.  I would love to know if any other third grade teachers have read A Snicker of Magic as a class read aloud and any experiences/ideas you could share! 

1 comment:

  1. I like how you share about a book every day!
    I need to come here and start adding more books to my list. Thank you for sharing your love for books!

    ReplyDelete