Friday, July 24, 2015

Exclamation Mark #bookaday July 24th


While I have been reading a lot this summer,  I haven't been able to blog about a #bookaday each day.  Now that the LIWP Summer Institute is over and I am back from my family trip to Chicago, I am hoping to be better at keeping up with a #bookaday!

I read this one, Exclamation Mark by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld, while my son Alex watched a movie at our local library.  I know Amy Krouse Rosenthal is the picture book author for The Global Read Aloud Project this year.  I love her books and was excited to see that she was chosen for the GRA.  Exclamation Mark is one of the books that will be studied during the Global Read Aloud and it was one I never read before.  It is a treasure!

The main character, the Exclamation Mark, feels different from the others (the periods) and not in a good way.  It isn't until she meets Question Mark that she recognizes her gifts and her power.  The other punctuation are all very proud of her.  There is an important message about making your mark that would be a great companion to The Dot by Peter Reynolds.  I look forward to reading this book to my new third graders! 

No comments:

Post a Comment