Sunday, July 26, 2015

The Crossover #bookaday July 26th


The Crossover, by Kwame Alexander, has been on my TBR list for months and I am so glad I finally had the chance to read it this weekend.  Tomorrow I will get to hear Kwame Alexander give the Keynote Speech at #LiLit15 in Merrick, NY and I cannot wait to hear him! The Crossover is a novel in verse, narrated by Josh aka "Filthy McNasty." There is drama on and off the basketball court for Josh as his twin brother JB falls for a girl and his dad has health issues related to heart disease, which he doesn't want to acknowledge.  One of my favorite parts was the "Basketball Rules" weaved through the book which you could easily make "Life Rules".  The Crossover won the Newberry Award this year and was a Coretta Scott King Honor Book.  It was a fast, exciting read and I love the way Kwame Alexander played with language while also striking an emotional chord.  Add it to your TBR list if you haven't read it yet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment